Everyone has a dream in life. These dreams help us define our own individual path, purpose, and goals. In this project, Women Deliver, DSW (Deutsche Stiftung Weltbevoelkerung) and The Lancet want to highlight and explore the dreams of young people living across the world.
If you are a young person under the age of 30, we want to hear from YOU about YOUR dreams for a better future! Tell us your desires, hopes, goals– this can be about what you would like to achieve in life or about what you would like to see happen for your family, community and country.
What is the purpose of this exciting opportunity?
In May 2013, Women Deliver will host a global conference that will call on world leaders to move from promises to progress for girls and women. In preparation for this, The Lancet will run a special feature in their journal that will focus on the dreams and hopes of young people living in Africa, South America, and South Asia.
Why should you get involved?
Since the Women Deliver conference in 2013 will be attended by leaders and participants from all over the world, your dream for the future can make a difference. All dreams accepted for publication will be promoted at the event and shared among those attending. This is YOUR chance to make them listen to YOUR thoughts, hopes and goals. You will be a role model for other young people in your community and country.
Sample Dream Submission:
I have a dream that my younger sister and I will be able to finish school. She wants to be a teacher and I want to be a doctor. Together, we dream of making sure that every girl in our village has access to education, contraceptives and medical care. We have seen too many of our friends and cousins drop out of school to get married or work, and we wish that things could be different. My sister and I have more options than most, because our parents believed we should choose the direction of our own lives. I hope that one day every girl will have this freedom. If this was the case, we would have more women in healthcare, education and politics making decisions that affect the lives of young girls. When only men are making these decisions, they cannot fully understand the challenges that girls face. When my sister and I are older, we will remember our lives now, and that of our peers, and use that knowledge to shape our decisions. This is how the world will change, one dream at a time.
How can I get involved?
- Fill out the form below, or click here. Please note that depending on where you are writing your dream, it may be better to write it offline first before visiting the submission form. This way you can copy and paste the information in.
- Since space is limited in the journal, we may not be able to accommodate every dream sent to us. In addition to the dreams listed in The Lancet, we will also create a digital map of dreams which will be made visible at the conference. Please do not worry too much about getting the language right, as all dreams will be edited as needed before they are sent to The Lancet.
- By filling in the online submission form and submitting your dream, you allow DSW, Women Deliver and The Lancet permission to feature your dream on some social media channels (such as Twitter and Facebook).
- If you have any questions, or have any problems completing the form, please email Mr. Shane O’Halloran.
- Closing date for receipt of entries is November 23rd, 2012.